Monday, December 7, 2015

FEATHERS FOR BABY -- A FINISH

You may remember a while back I posted some feather blocks.


This past week I figured out a way to get them together into a little quilt. I sewed them together like a braid, and used different size setting triangles to fill in the gaps.


I had no idea my fingers would look so creepy!  They look backwards or something.............


Anyway, for the quilting, I did straight lines following the angles of the seams. The quilting goes in four directions and I am very pleased with how it turned out. No puckers.  Loving my new Elna machine!



I added a few little scraps to the binding, just to give the edge a little something extra  : )


All the texture is brought to you by Aurifil thread in light grey. I played chicken with the bobbin a couple of times, but I won!  Got to love that about Aurifil. The bobbin lasts forever.  Even though it is heavily quilted, it maintains a soft drape. For the batting I used a piece of bamboo batting I had in my stash. It is lovely and soft.


The backing is from the same line as the feather fabrics. It's called Wanderer by April Rhodes for Art Gallery fabrics.

The quilt is for this little guy. Grandma's little precious


wearing the hat I knit for him : )  His mommy loved the diaper bag too

quilt stats:
28" x 40"
pieced and quilted by me
fabrics are Wanderer by Art Gallery

linking up

25 comments:

Marie said...

Beautiful quilt Carla but even more beautiful baby boy!!!
Great job on both!!!

**nicke... said...

That is one adorable baby and such a beautiful quilt! Do you get to see him often?

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great looking boy! Love the blanket as well.

Kim said...

A stunning quilt Carla. Those feathers stand out amazingly and I love the little hint of scraps in the binding. The backing is an inspired choice of fabric. Oh how sweet your wee li'l one looks all bundled up.

FVITH said...

The quilt looks lovely. The backing was the perfect choice, too.

rachel said...

Carla, I love this! I love the feathers on the white. It is just so perfect! I also love the way you quilted it! Amazing job!

Dawn Hughes said...

Beautiful quilt Carla, love the feathers.... A very lucky little boy, to snuggle under one of your special quilts.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

The quilt is simply lovely! :)

Lorna McMahon said...

Your feathers quilt is fabulous! Love the fabrics you chose. And especially that backing! By the way... Your grandson is adorable. What a sweetie!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great quilt. The backing is perfect for the arrows on the front.

Needled Mom said...

That is a fabulous finish, Carla, and such a sweet little guy too.

Leanne Parsons said...

What a great layout for those feathers! The quilt is gorgeous. I had to scroll back up and look for your fingers. I didn't notice them when I first looked at the picture, but you're right...they do look kind of creepy :)

Jayne said...

I'm loving those feathers! The back is just perfect...really wonderful quilt Carla!

Lysa said...

So beautiful! The whole thing, the colours, the piecing, the quilting. Just lovely!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

I love how the feathers look like they are floating to earth. The flash of colour in the binding and the backing fabric are perfect.
Yay to no puckers in quilting!

Jenny - the lilac cat said...

What a stunning baby quilt. Just love the design, colours and artful simplicity of floating feathers ( although I imagine the piecing was anything but simple!). But you have a wonderful incentive to keep your beautiful grandchild lovely and cosy.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Carla, every single thing you make wants me to stop what I'm doing and copy you. And you are right--that little guy is as precious as he can be.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

I want to just “ditto” the comment above me. I’m sitting here thinking, "why can’t my kitchen just clean itself and the laundry fold itself so that I can go SEW?!?!” This is going to be one of my all time favorite finishes by you I think...

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

I love the feathers, such a beautiful design! And that backing is stunning as well. Though not as cute as the little baby in his homemade hat. :)

Katherine said...

What a sweetheart, Carla! Love seeing him in the hat you made - too precious.

Fabulous quilt - you did a wonderful job with the feathers and such a fun layout and quilting. Gotta love a bit of scrappy added to a binding. Just perfect, right down to the backing.

Cathy said...

just gorgeous, Carla!

Karen S said...

This is a great way to use the feather blocks. It has turned into a lovely quilt. Great backing, too!
Gorgeous picture of your grandson.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Beautiful quilt for a precious little one.

Rebecca said...

I started making my first quilt yesterday. To say that the squares are not lining up is a massive understatement.
Yours is beautiful! I love how it is so colourful an so simple at the same time.

NickiJ said...

Your beautiful feathers have made one creative and loving quilt for one adorable wee boy! Hope he will have many cuddles under it.